" />

Learn English and Spanish Online

To have another language is to possess a second soul. Charlemagne

Forum, Lessons & Games

Forum Home > MAKE A SENTENCE with the English word of the Week > English Word of the Week / Survive (v)

thelanguagetutors
Site Owner

WOTW - Word of the Week

Survive (v) :

(tr) to live after the death of (another) ⇒ he survived his wife by 12 years

to continue in existence or use after (a passage of time, an adversity, etc) ⇒ The child survived despite his illness.

informal to endure (something) ⇒ I don't know how I survive such an awful job

Welcome to the 'Word of the Week' - your sentences will be corrected and comments provided by 'The Language Tutors' to help you improve your English and to learn native sentence construction.  :)

Type  a sentence in English into the 'Post' box below and click 'Post Reply'.    Feel free to add pictures to your post!

WOTW - Survive (v)

The song says it all!  I will survive.

--

Comment or correction by The Language Tutors  :)

February 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jennyo

Every day I learn more spanish ,I hope I can survive .

Cada día aprendo más Español,espero puedo sobrevivir.

Well done Jenny

Cada día aprendo más 'de' español, espero poder sobrevivr.

Don't forget that countries have capitals but languages don't.  Also if there's no change of subject you can follow 'espero' with the infinitive (or two in this case lol)   :)

March 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jennyo

Well thank you very much  I never new that  about the infinite.does that happen in all cases.?? 

It does if there's no change of subject, ie. if you hope that you can or will do something.  If however you hope that someone else does something you will need to insert a 'que' and follow it with the subjunctive but that's another whole lesson!  ;)

And in English I should think of "more of Spanish "not "more spanish "??

Sorry about the capital letter sometimes I still forget.I love this site it is so informative thankyou.

Yay, glad you're enjoying it here :)  PS  btw, this is actually just an 'English' word of the day thread, we have a different one going for Eng/Spanish but all good - hopefully some learners of English will join us soon for some practice.

--
March 10, 2012 at 5:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.